What Is Baking Soda?
Baking soda is chemically called sodium bicarbonate. It is a crystalline substance with alkaline in nature and has anti-fungal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties.
It is widely used in various baking foods from loaves of bread to cakes.
What happens if you use too much baking soda?
Baking soda might be unsafe when taken in high amounts.
It can cause vomiting, dehydration, and diarrhea as your body tries to fix the high sodium concentration in your organ by pulling more extra water into the digestive tract.
Although it can be a lifesaver when taken in small amounts.
What are the benefits of baking soda?
Everyone should know these 21 various benefits that baking soda has on your skin, kitchen, washroom, home, and body.
1. For upset Stomach
Baking soda has forever been many people’s go-to any time the experience stomach discomfort.
It serves as a natural antacid that will help to neutralize acids in your digestive tract.
A diluted baking soda helps to treat: upset Stomach, indigestion, heartburn, nausea or GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
Just dissolve a tablespoon of the baking soda in a glass of warm water. Mix it well and drink to get relief from the upset Stomach within 15–20 minutes.
Note: Be sure you don’t take it in high amounts, as it can cause high blood pressure.
2. Whiten your teeth
Combine half a teaspoon of baking soda with several drops of water in a small cup. You should mix it to have a thick texture.
Apply the mixture with your thumbs or a toothbrush to the tooth. In the instance of bad stains, apply the mix right on it.
Leave it for two minutes before rinsing it off.
3. Reduce uric acid
Baking soda can dissolve uric acid and reduce the pain, making it simpler to pass through waste.
Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with one glass of water.
Drink four times a day for up to two weeks.
Note: It is not recommended for somebody with high blood pressure.
4. Exfoliate with Baking Soda
It exfoliates your skin smooth and removes any impurities on the surface of your skin.
It acts by managing the pH balance of the skin. Avoid this remedy if you have susceptible skin.
- Add two teaspoon of baking soda to 2 teaspoons of warm water and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- Massage your skin by rolling your fingers in circular motions.
- Take cold water to remove the paste after 30 seconds.
- Do it once every day for a week to see excellent outcomes.
5. Treat insect bites and stings
it can soothe and relieve the itching, stinging and redness from your skin of the insect bite.
- In a bowl, mix one teaspoon baking soda with 1 cup of water
- Apply the paste directly to the bite or sting area.
6. Large Pores
Baking soda is an astringent that will clean out your pores while narrowing them.
- In a bowl, mix one teaspoon baking soda with one cup of water and placed the mixture aside.
- Wash your face with water, clean it to dry
- Rub the baking soda mixture on your face and then rub to dry.
- Continue to moisturize your face with a non-comedogenic product.
7. Make your hands soft
Baking soda can strip the dead or dying skin cells to improve the surface appearance of the skin.
The citric acid in lemons helps in removing the dark spots on the skin, while antioxidants in honey slow down the aging effects.
You will need baking soda, honey, and lemon juice.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Use a container to mix all the ingredients baking soda, honey, and Lemon juice together equally.
- Apply the mix on your hands by rubbing it for a minute and leave it for ten minutes.
- Wash your hands with lukewarm water without soap.
- You should do these at least two times a week for fresh soft skin.
8. For oily skin
This baking soda scrub helps exfoliate your face and control moisture.
- In a bowl, mix one teaspoon baking soda with a teaspoon of water. You mix the paste to have a thick texture.
- Wash your face and dry with a clean towel.
- Apply the baking soda all over your face, leaving out the skin around your eyes.
- Leave it for about 15-20 seconds.
- Rinse the baking soda off with cold water.
9. Remove scabs and scars quickly
Baking Soda is a proper substance that will altogether remove all kinds of scars and scabs.
- Mix 10g of baking soda with 100 ml of water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste over the scab and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Then you can wash it off gently with warm water.
- Repeat this method for 2-3 times per week.
10. Get rid of the smell from your shoes
Baking soda can eliminate the stink from your shoes.
Just sprinkle few baking sodas in your shoes and leave it in overnight.
Clean the baking soda out of your shoes in the morning
11. Baby diaper rash
Baking soda can reduce inflammation and treat any infection.
Just put a few tablespoons of baking soda into the bathtub and soak your baby in it for at least ten minutes.
You can repeat the process thrice a day for better results.
12. To wash your hair without shampoo.
You need a bottle to use a shampoo bottle to prepare the baking soda solution.
- Put five spoons of the baking soda into the bottle.
- Add 400ml of warm water and shake it to produce a solution.
- Wet your hair and squeeze your homemade baking soda shampoo into the hair.
- Rub the mix in as you rub the scalp. Leave the baking soda shampoo to soak for a few minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and dry.
13. For sore throat after vomiting
Just rinse your mouth or gargle with a baking soda mix after vomiting. It helps neutralize the acid.
14. Get rid of corn on foot
Baking soda can help remove the dead skin cells around the corn and stimulate the healing process.
Put several tablespoons of baking soda to lukewarm water in a basin and soak your feet in it for 20 minutes.
Use a pumice stone to clean the area and remove dead skin cells.
15. Natural deodorant
Just spray baking soda on your underarms as a natural deodorant.
16. Help relieve itching
Try baking soda to deal with rash also itchy skin.
It contains anti-inflammatory properties and can produce a soothing effect on the skin.
It also serves as a natural neutralizer to help ease itching.
- Take a cup of baking soda and put it to a bathtub of cold water.
- Do stir it thoroughly and then soak yourself in the water for about 30-40 minutes.
- Make sure not to rub yourself afterward. Slightly, pat dry with a towel.
- Do it once to ease itching.
Note: Avoid this baking soda remedy if you have open wounds or broken skin.
17. Sunburn relief
Baking soda has a very calming and soothing result on sunburn skin because of its alkaline nature.
- Add three tablespoons of baking soda to cold water. Mix well.
- Dip a clean washcloth in the water mixed with soda. Remove the cloth from the water.
- Twist the washcloth to eliminate excess water.
- Put this washcloth on the affected skin for around 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat the method, if required.
You can use this cooling compress of baking soda two times a day to soothe your skin.
18. Clean your oven
Sprinkle baking soda onto the oven, sprinkle some water, let it overnight, then wipe clean with a wet sponge.
19. Uses in the kitchen
Cleaning glass kitchen cabinets.
Washing fruits and vegetables to get rid of pesticides.
Remove odors from refrigerators and microwaves
Removing grease stains from wood furniture and gas stoves.
To clean inside the fridge and freezer.
20. Carpet cleaner
Sprinkle on your carpet and let sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum.
21. Clean shower curtains
Scrub shower curtain with a wet sponge that you have sprinkled baking soda onto.
If baking soda gets into eyes while using a mask or scrub, immediately splash cold water.
Never apply it on a sore or cut as baking soda may irritate the skin due to its alkaline nature.