Sleep acts as a fundamental role in our general health to the point that many studies say that getting enough sleep is more valuable than food.
However, for whatever reason, some people sleep more than others, why some suffer for sleep problems, which is most commonly called is insomnia. You might ponder what is really insomnia? This is a sleep condition that actually makes it difficult for you to fall asleep, to remain awake, or wake up too early and even make you not have the ability to get back to sleep.
Can you have insomnia for years? Insomnia can be acute, which can last for days or weeks or chronic that lasts for a month or more. According to the National Sleep Foundation, in certain instances, chronic insomnia can last for more than three months of a long-standing history of difficulty sleeping.
Several factors are capable of contributing to insomnia, which can include stress, medical conditions, excessive alcohol consumption, medications, childhood trauma, and abuse.
According to the Office on Women’s Health, almost one in seven adults has chronic insomnia. They also claim that insomnia is more common ordinary in women than in men.
Insomnia can debilitate not only your energy level but also your mood, health, performance in work, and standard of living, according to the Mayo Clinic. Inadequate sleep has been associated with many chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and depression.
If you have been struggling with sleepless nights and you want to know if it is insomnia. Don’t worry, Mayor Boss has assembled some signs that can help you learn and understand your sleepless night’s problems.
Here are signs and symptoms of insomnia
- Difficulty falling asleep. If you have insomnia, you will lie wide awake for a long time without going to sleep even if your body is so tired. It takes you an hour or over to fall asleep. Check out these steps to sleep better tonight
- Wake up at midnight and can’t get back to sleep. Mid-sleep awakening is one of the chief signs of insomnia because when you wake up at midnight and you will find it difficult to go back to sleep again. If you mark that regularly after you wake up at night, you can’t fall back to sleep within 30 to 40 minutes. You may be experiencing insomnia. On the flip side, here some drinks that will help you sleep at night
- Waking up too early. Some people with insomnia can fall asleep just precise fine, but they will wake up very early and unable to fall back asleep again. This can be really annoying. It feels like the world is going to end when you are struggling to get back to sleep still.
- Fatigue or low energy during the daytime. As a result of poor sleep at night, you may wake up feeling exhausted, no motivation, and no energy for the rest of your daily activities. Recurrent episodes of tiredness and low energy could be an indication of insomnia.
- Mood swings. Insomnia can cause rapid changes in your mood due to after a sleepless night. You may be extra irritable, have anxiety, short-tempered, and stress that can trigger you to negative sentiments to people making matters worse. Once you sleep properly, your mood usually returns to normal.
- Difficulty concentrating. After waking up so numerous times during the night, you will have trouble concentrating in the day. You feel more sluggish and hard to focus at school or work. Sometime you may difficult to think or remember things.
Finally, The excellent news is that you can treat insomnia. Over time, lack of proper sleep may inflate your chance for more severe health problems, So talk with your doctor to see how to solve your sleeping disorder.