Superfoods are foods believed to have significant health benefits and healing effects on several diseases. Superfoods do not have their own food groups. Some believe the term superfoods is a marketing strategy.
Here are some superfoods to consider adding to your diet:
Green tea is a tea that originated from China, and it is made from Camellia Sinensis leaves that have not gone through the withering and oxidation process that other types of tea go through. Green tea has such numerous health benefits. That is why they have earned the superfood title.
Some of the amazing health benefits of green tea include:
- Weight loss: green tea has been shown to aid fat loss in those who consume it daily. It boosts metabolic rate and increases the fat burning process
- Fight infections
- Green tea is loaded with antioxidants such as polyphenols and catechins, which are very good for reducing inflammation and slowing down aging
- Reduce the chance of type 2 diabetes mellitus, stroke, and heart diseases
- It prevents cell damage
- It improves moods
- It improves memory
- Reduce the chance of breast cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Green tea reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Spirulina is a biomass of cyanobacteria that can be consumed by humans and animals. It is a green alga that can be added to smoothies in its powdered form or taken as a capsule supplement.
The amazing benefits of adding spirulina to their diet include:
- Boost weight loss
- Improves symptoms of allergic rhinitis
- Reduce cholesterol levels in those with Hypercholesterolemia
- Clear off lesions of oral cancer
- Regulate moods
- Improves gut health
Some of the side effects of spirulina are headaches, muscle pain, and insomnia.
Egg is one of those superfoods that can be eaten in so many ways.
The benefits of eggs are:
- It is a good source of protein that is very good for repairing muscles after a workout
- Rich in Vit B2, B6, B12, A, D, E, K, zinc, iron, copper, lecithin, and selenium.
- Weight loss
- Boost the immune system
- A good energy source
- Promote good eyesight
- Prevent breakdown of tissues and enhance good healthy skin.
- Rich in omega -3- fatty acids
- Eggs increase HDL cholesterol (which is the good cholesterol) and lower LDL
Salmon is one of the most expensive superfoods, versatile to prepare and known to be rich in omega -3- fatty acids.
Some of the astonishing health benefits of salmon include:
- Improves depression
- Great source of protein
- Good weight-loss food
- Rich in B vitamins
- Decrease antibodies in autoimmune thyroiditis due to their high levels of selenium
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Boost immunity And fight inflammation
- Improve brain health
Chia seed Is an edible tiny black seed of Salvia Hispanica and belongs to the mint family that can be added to so many meals, including smoothies.
Some of the benefits of chia seed are:
- Very high in antioxidants
- Relieve constipation due to its high fiber content
- A moderate amount of protein
- Chia seeds aid weight loss
- High in omega-3-fatty acids (specifically alpha-linolenic acid)
Blueberries are perennial flowering plants with bluish – purplish color. They contain anthocyanin, a compound that gives them their blue color.
The amazing health benefits of blueberries include:
- Bone maintenance and reduce the risk of bone fractures
- High in magnesium, calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, and phosphorus
- High in vitamin K
- Prevent skin damage and improve skin texture.
- It lowers blood pressure
- Improve blood sugar in diabetic patients
- Improve heart health
- High in antioxidants which inhibits tumor growth and decreases inflammation
- Improve memory and cognitive functions
- Weight loss
- Prevent constipation/improve constipation due to its high fiber content
Seaweed is edible sea vegetables that are high in so many nutrients and quite tasty.
Seaweed benefits include:
- Seaweed improves iron deficiency anemia due to its iron content.
- Good source of iodine and tyrosine, which are good for thyroid function
- High in antioxidants
- Promote gut health by increasing good gut bacteria
- Seaweed has high fiber content and very filling, which aids in weight loss and combat obesity
- Improve diabetes mellitus by reducing blood glucose levels